This post was written by: Channing Puls
Situational awareness is crucial for commercial motor vehicle drivers as it can help a driver anticipate and react to potential hazards on the road, thereby reducing the risk of a crash or other incidents. It is important for drivers to “keep their head on a swivel”. While on the road, it is important to be aware of what is going on in the surrounding area. Staying aware will help the driver preemptively avoid accidents and adjust to changing road conditions. Drivers should make it a habit to check their mirrors every five to eight seconds so they know what is happening around the vehicle at all times.
Other tips and tricks to stay safe on the road include:
• Using turn signals with every lane change or turn.
• Having enough space to turn safely to avoid striking objects and other vehicles on or near the roadway.
• If the vehicle needs to back up, use the “Get Out and Look” or “GOAL” method. The driver should walk completely around the vehicle to check that there are not any individuals, objects or hazards that could be hit in the vehicle’s vicinity.
• Be sure to use four-way flashers and sound the horn before putting the vehicle in reverse.
• Always look twice before changing lanes or pulling into an intersection or roadway.
#PaladinInsured #TheMoreYouKnow #SituationalAwareness #ThePaladinGroup
**The content provided is not intended as legal advice and should not be construed or interpreted as such. If such advice is needed, The Paladin Group recommends that you seek counsel for the specific advice or services needed.*